Early Headship Coaching Offer
Early Headship Coaching Offer (formerly ASO) for new Headteachers
We are delighted to be partnering with Teach First to provide this programme.
What is the Early Headship Coaching Offer (EHCO)?
The support offer is available to those in their first five years of headship, who have either completed the new/reformed NPQ before becoming a head, are applying for a NPQH OR are currently taking the existing NPQH. The EHCO will be a targeted package of support aimed at new headteachers, and based on the content of the new NPQH, which has been reformed to ensure it is underpinned by the latest and best evidence.
- Target Audience: You are eligible for this targeted support package if you meet the following criteria:
- Are in your first five years of headship
- Are employed in a state-funded school, or are employed in a state-funded organisation that offers 16-19 places in England upon starting the training
- Have either completed a national professional qualification for headship (NPQH) before taking up your first headship post, are applying for a NPQH or are currently taking the NPQH
- Have not withdrawn from the additional support programme previously
- Course Length: 12 or 24 months
- Programme Cost: Fully funded. For information only: Church of England = £800
- Programme Start Dates: TBC
- Brochure: Teach First
What will I learn?
This is a targeted package of support tailored to the needs of headteachers new to the role of headship. It provides bespoke, un-assessed support based on the best available evidence about what makes an effective headteacher. It is a personalised learning journey, prioritising headteachers' wellbeing and personal development as a school leader and supporting them through local networks.
Your Learning Journey
Programme delivery is conducted over 12-24 months of one-to-one support from an experienced school leader. There is no assessment and minimal preparation time for sessions.
How will I benefit?
Throughout the Early Headship Coaching Offer, you will:
- Receive one-to-one coaching to help you face the known challenges new headteachers experience.
- Have a confidential, safe space to reflect and discuss personal or school priorities with an experienced former school leader and trained coach.
- Receive practical guidance focused on your school's particular circumstances.
- Be supported to identify key goals and step back to consider what improvements you want to implement in your school.
- Network with both new and experienced headteachers to create communities of practice for the long term.
APPLY FOR THE EARLY HEADSHIP COACHING OFFER